What is Metal Allergy? What are the signs of it? How can it be treated?

What is Nickel Allergy (Metal Allergy)?

Metal allergy is generally used to mean allergies to metal hangers and accessories. Rather, the allergic reactions that nickel metal creates in the body can develop against different metal species. Metal allergy seen in women in general is seen in about 12% of women whereas it is around 6% in males.

The signs of Nickel Allergy (Metal Allergy)

The allergic reaction usually begins with a nickel metal containing substance within the next 12 to 48 hours and lasts for two to four weeks. The indication of contact dermatitis usually occurs only in the area of your skin that is in contact with the nickel metal. But it can also be seen elsewhere in your body.

  • Rash or swelling on the skin
  • Severe itching
  • Change in redness or skin tone
  • Dry patches similar to burn on the skin
  • Bubbles and liquid-flow bubbles in severe cases

How is Nickel Allergy (Metal Allergy) treated?

The metal allergy has no cure. Once you develop sensitivity to nickel metal, allergies will occur whenever you go through a metal with a metal. If the allergic reaction has begun to develop once, it will probably last for two to four weeks.

Your doctor can give you medications to reduce irritation and heal the condition caused by metal allergic reaction.

The ways of protection from Nickel Allergy (Metal Allergy)

The best way to prevent the development of metal allergies is to not use nickel-containing goods such as jewelry for a long time. If you have allergies to nickel, the best way to prevent an allergic reaction is to avoid contact with metals.